FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 19, 2013
CONTACT: Todd Stenhouse, 916-397-1131, [email protected] (STATEWIDE, UCSF and UCB)
Kevin Brown, 609-220-8155, [email protected] (UCLA)
Eric Sanchez, 571-249-6844, [email protected] (UC Davis)
Ebony Meeks, 917-690-6317, [email protected] (UC Irvine)
John Noonan, 612-267-0658, [email protected] (UC San Diego)
Julie Edwards, 202-232-1182, [email protected] (UC Santa Cruz)
Dale Howard, (916) 402-3762, [email protected] (UC Santa Barbara)
Liz Ortega, (510) 564-6074, [email protected] (UC Riverside)
Elected Leaders, Students, Labor Leaders and Other UC Workers Expected to Join Thousands of Local 3299 Members on Picket Lines Across the State
AFSCME Local 3299, the University of California’s largest union today announced the locations, times and other events planned as part of its planned Unfair Labor Practice Strike on Wednesday, November 20th. The strike will cover nine UC Campuses, and all UC Medical Centers, and include UC Patient Care Technical Workers and Service Workers, as well as sympathy striking Graduate Teaching Assistants represented by UAW Local 2865, UC Students, Elected officials, and other UC workers.
Picket Lines will be running from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Wednesday, November 20th.
The Strike stems from a coordinated campaign of illegal intimidation and harassment from UC Administrators against frontline service and patient care workers advocating safe staffing standards during a two day UC Hospital Strike in May. The overwhelming evidence of illegal conduct was extensive, and chronicled in a complaint issued by the State’s Public Employment Relations Board (PERB) back in September.
Read the PERB Complaint Here: https://afscme3299.org/documents/legal/PERB-COMPLAINT-9-12-13-UPC-SF-CE-1033-H.pdf
“Our members have both the legal right and moral responsibility to stand up for the safety of the students and patients we serve,” said AFSCME 3299 President Kathryn Lybarger. “By attempting to silence workers, UC hasn’t just repeatedly broken the law—it has willfully endangered all who come to UC to learn, to heal, and to build a better life for their families.”
As was the case in May, AFSCME 3299 has exempted some of its critical care workers from participation in Strike activities and formed a Patient Protection Task Force to ensure that unforeseen emergency medical needs at UC Hospitals will be met during the one day work stoppage.
Each Strike location—detailed below, will also include scheduled rallies featuring elected officials and other community leaders.
UC San Francisco Medical Center: 505 Parnassus Ave., San Francisco, CA, on Parnassus in front of the hospital
- 12:30 p.m. Rally, Expected attendees include State Senator Leland Yee, San Francisco Supervisor David Chiu, Supervisor David Campos, Supervisor Jane Kim, the office of Assemblymember Tom Ammiano, and AFSCME 3299 President Kathryn Lybarger
UC Berkeley: Bancroft Ave and Telegraph Ave, Berkeley CA & University Ave and Oxford St, Berkeley CA, rally location is University Hall
- 9:00 a.m. Rally Featuring Assemblymember Nancy Skinner
- 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. Rallies—expected speakers include the office of Assemblymember Rob Bonta, Berkeley City Council Member Kriss Worthington, Josie Camacho -Executive Secretary Treasurer Alameda Labor Council Executive Secretary Josie Camacho and AFSCME 3299 President Kathryn Lybarger.
UC Santa Cruz: 1156 High St, Santa Cruz CA, in front of the main entrance
- Assemblyman Mark Stone expected to speak at 12 noon.
UC Davis Campus: Hutchinson Drive at La Rue Rd., Davis CA, at the Hutchinson Intramural Field
- Rally Planned at 12:00 p.m.
UC Davis Medical Center: 2315 Stockton Blvd, Sacramento CA, in front of the hospital main entrance
- Assemblymember Dr. Richard Pan M.D. will visit striking workers during the day.
UC Santa Barbara: 552 University Rd, Santa Barbara CA, at Storke Plaza
- 12 noon rally featuring the office Assemblyman Das Williams
UCLA-Ronald Reagan Medical Center: 757 Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles CA, on Westwood Blvd.
- AFSCME 3299 President Kathryn Lybarger will have press availability at UCLA RRMC starting at 6 a.m.
- 12 noon rally featuring the LA County Federation of Labor and the office of Assemblyman Adrin Nazarin
UCLA-Santa Monica Hospital: 1250 16th St, Santa Monica CA, in front of the hospital
- 12:00 noon rally planned
UCLA Campus: 405 Hilgard Ave, Los Angeles CA, at the Bruin Bear
- 12 noon rally featuring State Senator Alex Padilla
UC Irvine Medical Center: 101 The City Drive S, Orange CA, in front of City Drive
- 12:30 p.m. rally featuring Anaheim Union HS District Trustee Dr. Jose Moreno, Anaheim Union HS District Trustee Al Jabar, and Garden Grove Unified Trustee Bao Nguyen
UC Irvine Campus: 1063 W Peltason Drive, Irvine CA, by the flagpole
- 12 noon rally
UC Riverside: 900 University Ave, Riverside CA, University Avenue at Canyon Crest Drive
- 12:00 p.m. rally
UC San Diego Medical Center—Hillcrest: 200 W Arbor Dr, San Diego CA, in front of the hospital
- 10:00 a.m.: Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzales @ 10am
- 12:00 p.m. rally featuring San Diego CLC’s Richard Barrera, San Diego Mayoral Candidate David Alvarez, and the office of State Senator Ben Hueso.
UC San Diego Medical Center—Thornton: 9300 Campus Point Dr, La Jolla CA, in front of the hospital
- Rally at 9:30 a.m. featuring Assemblywoman Shirley Weber
- Rally at 12 noon.
UC San Diego—Campus: 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla CA, by the Gilman Parking Structure
- Rallies at 8:30 a.m. and 12 noon on Wednesday